The Antecedents of the Lodge
of Guiding Light No. 7539 can trace its origins back some 250
years, to when the
Kent Lodge was Consecrated. Our Antient Brethren of the Kent Lodge pledged its
allegiance to the Antients Grand Lodge, which was at the time
the rival to the Premier Grand Lodge which had been Founded in
Antients Grand Lodge had been Founded in 1751 by six Lodges who
were then in discord with the Premier Grand Lodge, so that when
the Kent Lodge became the second new Lodge to pledge to it in
1752, it became No. 8 on its Register. Some 58 years later in 1810, the Kent Lodge sponsored the
Lodge of Prosperity on the Register of the Antients.
the merging of the Antients and Moderns Grand Lodges into the
United Grand Lodge of England in 1813, the Kent Lodge and Lodge
of Prosperity became Numbers 15 and 65 respectively on the
register. Kent Lodge
retains the number 15.
the Lodge of Prosperity sponsored the Lodge of Perseverance No.
1743, which in 1919, sponsored the Snaresbrook Lodge No. 4010.
Following the expansion of London after the First World
War, several of the Brethren from Snaresbrook Lodge, which had
drawn most of its members from the Wanstead area, moved to the
Kingsbury area, a relocation, which in 1930, gave rise to the
sponsoring of the Birchwood Lodge No. 5178.
By 1936, the population of Kingsbury had risen
sharply from its 1921 figure of 2,000 to 45,000 and in 1937,
Birchwood Lodge sponsored the Cyngesbury Lodge No. 5607, which
in turn sponsored the Oliver Goldsmith Lodge No. 5924 in 1943.
The forces coming back after the Second World War,
brought about the sponsorship of Dependable Lodge No. 6325 in
September 1957, Dependable Lodge decided to sponsor the Lodge of
The Founding of the Lodge
The idea of
the Lodge of Guiding Light began with certain members
of Dependable Lodge, who thought that it might be expedient to
form a new Lodge. It
quickly gained support of members of Dependable to further this
exciting project. A senior brother was delegated to seek an interview with the Grand
Secretary, who was so impressed, that he assented to the project
being furthered. A
committee was formed and there followed several Meetings during
which Brethren from other Lodges, well known for their
dedication to Freemasonry, were invited to add their names to
Lodge approved the necessary Resolution sponsoring the new Lodge
of Guiding Light, and sanction was received from Grand Lodge
within a few months.
141 present at the Consecration Meeting held at Freemasons Hall
on 3rd September 1957. The
twenty Founders were appointed to Office at that Meeting, and
their names are still recorded on every summons.
The Founders and early Members of
recently as ten years ago, four Founders, one Joining Member,
and the first Initiate, were all active members of the Lodge.
The Lodge is
enormously fortunate that, nearly fifty years on, the link with
the Founders of the Lodge is maintained through one Founder.
First Regular Meeting of the Lodge ballots were taken for five
Joining Members and two Initiates. Of the Joining Members, one progressed to the Mastership
of the lodge, and was later appointed to London Grand Rank.
Consecrating Officers were made Honorary Members, as was the
then Grand Secretary in 1959. Regrettably, none of
these is still with us.
The Meeting places of the Lodge
Regular Meeting took place at Mostyn Hall on October 30th, 1957.
The second Regular Meeting was held at the Horseshoe
Hotel, Tottenham Court Road, London, W.1. and the Lodge
continued to meet there until March 1960, when Meetings were
held the Kensington Palace Hotel, London, W8.
In 1969 the
Lodge transferred to Charing Cross Hotel; in October 1971 we
moved to the National Liberal Club; we returned to Kensington
Palace Hotel in 1973 for a short stay, until establishing
ourselves in October 1974 at the Park Court Hotel, Lancaster
In 2001 we
relocated again, together with the Chapter and Lodge of
Instruction, to our current Regular Meeting place at The Royal
National Hotel, Bedford Way, Russell Square, London
Growth of the Lodge
days of the Lodge were extremely busy ones, with two Initiations
at each Ceremony being the norm rather than the unusual, with
comparable numbers of the progressive Degrees. Such was the influx of new Brethren that by the end of
the first year there were 36 members.
At the time of the tenth anniversary there were 64
Members. By a
strange coincidence, there were 64 Members at the date of our
fortieth anniversary, although at the date of the twenty-fifth
anniversary there were 76 Members. In 2006 there are 41
members - a good number by today's standards.
have sponsored their sons into our Lodge, and where feasible
have conducted that ceremony of Initiation or taken some part in
that procedure. Similarly,
sons have proposed fathers and nephews have proposed
sponsored a Royal Arch Chapter which was Consecrated on 26th May
1964, and which bears the name and number of the Lodge. The Petitioners included two Founders of the Lodge.
The Royal Arch Chapter has grown in strength both
numerically and in the quality of its ritual and has always been
a great credit to the Lodge.
incidents of note
In 1957 the
country was still recovering from the ravages of war. Post war shortages persisted and in particular
electricity blackouts, sometimes affecting ceremonies which were
conducted by candle light.
Banner was presented by first year Initiates and Joining Members
and unveiled and dedicated in 1958.
Anniversary was celebrated at the Installation Meeting in
November 1967, with our First Initiate as Master and every
Consecrating Officer attending. There were 120 Members and guests present to commemorate
1973, the Lodge was not able to commence business at the time of
the Summons, because a bomb had exploded in the vicinity of the
National Liberal Club, our Meeting place at the time. The area was cordoned off by Police, and a number of
Brethren departed or should we say fled hastily, after there was
threat of another bomb exploding. Such was the resilience of the hardier Members, that they
did get through to complete the business of the Lodge, albeit a
little late in starting.
Lodge celebrated its 40th anniversary in 1997 with a special
meeting at Freemasons' Hall followed by dinner at the Connaught
Rooms. We were fortunate to hear a presentation by senior
founders on the circumstances leading to the foundation of the
Lodge celebrated its half-century in 2007 with a very
special meeting held at the current venue, the Royal National
Hotel, when we received several very distinguished guests.